• Happy Halloween!

Filed under News, Showcase

New Garden Plants Itself into Saint John’s Growing Community

Most people love to garden and watch their plants grow. Saint John School is now offering a gardening activity for kids to provide food for hungry people, learn how plants grow, and help the school develop a strong community. Saint John’s has started a garden that will be shared through the helping hands of the students. Ms. Karen Rack, a sixth grade teacher, took charge and started planning, organizing, and creating the garden. Without Ms. Rack and the Student Council, the garden would not exist. The garden is located behind the third grade classrooms.

Ms. Rack, the Student Council advisor, explained, “The garden will hopefully provide more food for our food pantry. This will allow the people in the program the access of freshly grown garden vegetables.”

For the middle schoolers who need service hours, Ms. Rack is allowing a couple of students to help and earn service hours. This will include preparing soil, planting seeds, and watering them. Emily Tulino was last year’s ecology leader on Student Council. She saw the garden and decided to make a change in the garden.

Emily stated, ” I wanted to start and finish the garden for the benefit of others who the food pantry has helped. And it would make many students here very happy to know that they have helped feed people who need it.”

Saint John students will not be able to eat the produce grown in the garden– maybe a tiny bite after all the work is done, but the majority is going to the parish food pantry.