• Happy Halloween!

Filed under News, Showcase

Eagle Pride Publisher Wins Best in Show

2016 fair winThe Eagle Pride Publisher, the Saint John School student-produced print newspaper, has won Best in Show in the middle school division of school newspapers entered in the 2016 San Diego County Fair competition. This is the fourth consecutive year that the paper has won the top prize and the sixth time out of the past seven years. The paper has also placed in three national contests, including a first-place finish in the Scholastic Student Journalism Contest in 2013.

Printed twice yearly, the Eagle Pride Publisher is written and edited by a team of seventh and eighth grade journalism students. This year’s lead editors were Sophia Tulino and Brian McCorkle, assisted by online chief editors Sophie Torr and Portia Rendler. Mrs. Teresa Roberts, a former journalist herself, and Ms. Feather Gentry, director of technology and Learning Support, are the advisers. There are approximately 50 students in the journalism program, which started as an after-school club 11 years ago and is now offered as a middle school class. These students write articles and take photographs that are published in either the print or online version of the paper. The online version (sjseaglepridepublisher.com: this very website) is not the same as the print edition but features many different stories. The print edition can be viewed online at the school’s website: saintjohnschool.com.