Filed under Sports

LaVar Ball Speaks His Mind

LaVar poses for a camera at a UCLA basketball game.

Google Images

One of the most popular topics that was talked about this past NBA season was about the Ball family. Father LaVar, mother Tina, and sons Lonzo, LiAngelo, and LaMelo make up this famous family. The things that LaVar has said have made me personally have little respect for him and makes him seem very big-headed.

Lonzo, the oldest, is getting lots of recognition for being one of the best college basketball players in the country. He declared for the NBA draft after his first year at UCLA. LaMelo, the youngest, is famous for being a natural show-off. He got even more popular after scoring 92 points in a high school game. And LiAngelo, the middle child, is the least recognized (like a lot of middle children) but had his moment when he scored 72 points in a high school game.

But a few of the strange statements that have come out of LaVar Ball’s mouth have been about his oldest son Lonzo.

He has said things like, “I’ll tell you right now he’s better than Steph Curry to me.” This seems like such an overstatement because Stephen Curry is one of the best players in the NBA.

He has also said about his sons, “All three of my sons are going to be one-and-dones.”

Basically, he’s saying that he controls all of his sons’ choices. In this case, he is saying that his sons will all go to college for one year and then go to the NBA (if they make it).

Just recently, the family brand, Big Baller Brand, released Lonzo’s first signature shoe at a retail price of $495. All of this for a kid who hasn’t even dribbled a ball in the NBA yet. Some great players like LeBron James and Paul George had to wait years after they came to the NBA to get their signature shoe.

The things LaVar has said and done are very controversial, and people are showing him hate.

“He’s only a college player [right now], he hasn’t done anything yet,” said Logan Noguchi in Mr. Matt Gaulin’s fifth grade class after being asked about his opinion on the $495 shoe.

Christian Maron, also in Mr. Gaulin’s class, said of Lonzo, “He shouldn’t have shoes. He’s still in college and hasn’t done much.”

When being asked his opinion about what LaVar has said about his sons, Logan commented, “He’s a parent, so he can show high praise, but maybe not that high.”

“He shouldn’t say that because he shouldn’t rank his son higher than a great player,” remarked Christian about the same topic.

Personally, I think that he is way too full of himself and just wants to get famous through his sons. Many people are tired of his comments and definitely want him to stop talking.