Filed under News

Thanksgiving Food Drive

Fourth+grade+students+work+hard+to+advertise+Brother+Benno%27s+food+drive.+Holding+signs%2C+from+left%2C+are+Nick+Ocon%2C+Gabriel+Quezada%2C+Emma+Ruder%2C+Sarah+Michelsen%2C+Lily+Awad%2C+Maddie+Brown%2C+Brady+Gallagher.++
Fourth grade students work hard to advertise Brother Benno's food drive. Holding signs, from left, are Nick Ocon, Gabriel Quezada, Emma Ruder, Sarah Michelsen, Lily Awad, Maddie Brown, Brady Gallagher.

Emma Velchek

Emma Velchek

Every year during fall season, the fourth grade leads a project called the Brother Benno’s Thanksgiving food drive. This drive helps those who aren’t as fortunate to have a Thanksgiving dinner. The students make posters that tell each of the classes what to bring in. The students also collect food in the mornings. They go to all of the homeroom classes in the school to take any food to gather in one place. They also advertise at the upper and lower lots, before and after school.

Every grade brings a type of food to go in the Thanksgiving boxes. Among the items assigned to classes are apple cider, canned yams, and dried beans.

Sarah Michelsen from Mrs. Deborah Quinn’s class is learning to help others from this project. “I think giving meals to the poor is good since they don’t have much,” stated Sarah. .

Max Trojanowski from Mrs. Haley Mendes’s class stated, “This should be a worldwide event, so we can help others. Everything that goes to the poor counts, like a blanket or food.”

Last year the school raised over 60 boxes. The goal this year is 40 boxes, but still would like to raise as many as possible. The fourth-grade students are able to have a hands-on learning opportunity with programs like Brother Benno’s.

Mrs. Mendes, one of the fourth-grade teachers, stated, ” I think the program helps and shows the students giving back in the community. They could also be giving to other kids their age who are in need.”

All of the boxes made go to the Brother Benno’s program, which gives them to families in the North County. Another goal is to include a ham with every box. The hope is that families of the school will donate hams. The fourth grade hopes everyone in every class brings in their food items by Thursday.