Stay Tuned for Saint John School TV

Back to Article
Back to Article

Stay Tuned for Saint John School TV

Sixth graders Gray Adams and Chloe Terry-Lloyd deliver th news at the Fox TV-CHannel 5 studio.

Lisa Palecek

Lisa Palecek

Lisa Palecek

Students, faculty and staff members are looking forward to a long-awaited broadcasting program that could begin in the fall. A new TV production studio will include video cameras, DSLR cameras, lighting, microphones, a sound board, a teleprompter, hand-held microphones, a tricaster, a drone, computers, iPads, an anchor desk and a green screen. 

“This new room will have both an educational and enjoyable flair to it,” said Vice Principle Jill Burke. “We think it will benefit kids in the future; it will teach students good presentation and technology skills.” The program initially will be open to older students. “I’d like to see as many kids as possible, but it will be the older kids more,” Mrs. Burke said. 

Melissa Botticelli from Miss Natalie Williams’ fifth-grade class said, “That would be really cool. That would be good because you can see what people are doing in different grades.”  

Mrs. Lisa Palecek, Director of Technology, who would oversee the broadcasting room, traveled with several students to the Fox TV Studio in San Diego to perform a mock broadcasting studio session. It provided the students a sense of what creating a news story would look like.  

Grady Adams and Morgan King from Mrs. Moeller’s sixth-grade class had the opportunity to sit at the anchor desk and deliver a news report. Grady said he learned “how to talk to the camera and not to be nervous and how to read from the teleprompter.”  King commented,” I learned what we could do and how we could operate technology.” And Luca Savant from Mrs. Mendes’ fourthgrade class said, “I learned that it takes a lot of people to operate a broadcast. 

The preliminary budget was $35,000, and the Saint John School auction this winter “incredibly got just about $35,000, said Principal Dan Schuh. 

Technology is a part of our present, past and future. In schools, students use technology to write papers, do research, check for assignments and be updated on what’s happening in the community. Technology is everywhere, entwined in so much of everyday life. It affects how people live, work, play, and most importantly, it affects how students learn.  

Having a broadcasting studio will help Saint John students learn more about broadcast technology and production.