Drama Class on Student Wish List

Back to Article
Back to Article

Drama Class on Student Wish List

Adriana Quezada

Adriana Quezada

Adriana Quezada

Saint John School has many diverse programs and classes, which sets it apart from other schools. However, Saint John’s lacks something that other schools include in their curriculum – a drama program. Saint John’s used to have a successful drama program which ended a few years ago because of a struggle to find a drama teacher. Now more than ever, with our growing school, some students believe it is vital to bring back the drama program.

Vice Principal Jill Burke said a drama program would be “beneficial for our school. A drama program would help students build confidence, become better speakers, and share talents with others.” She also said that a behind-the-scenes tech crew would be “awesome.” Mrs. Burke has seen many shows on Broadway and on tour such as The Lion King, Jersey Boys, and Phantom of the Opera.

“The biggest challenges are finding someone to teach drama and the student interest,” Mrs. Burke said. She added that she would “love to bring the drama program back”.

Max Colucci, who is in Mrs. Gena Heins’ seventh grade class, said that a drama program “would be a great addition to our school because it allows kids to explore their talents.” He loves the idea of student-led productions. He also wants to play Shrek in Shrek the Musical if the drama program were to start again. Max has seen Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables on tour.

Sienna Black, who is in Mr. Brian Mariano’s seventh grade class, said, “I really liked theatre when I was little so it would be great for everyone, especially little kids, to have a theatre program.” She thinks that students and faculty working together to produce the shows would be the best option. She does not know of any characters she would like to play, but she is interested in doing the shows and possibly taking part of makeup design for the shows.

Having a drama program back at school is bright in Saint John School’s future. Soon, audiences may see Saint John’s new productions in about a year or two. Students can expect a drama program to be an amazing addition to Saint John School.